The first bridal event I went to with BMs Laura and Tanya was the annual Bridal Expo in Novi, MI. There were gorgeous tablescapes, fabulous flowers, nommy cakes, and chiavari chairs to sit on at every turn.
Laura and Tanya came prepared; both are happily married and have "been there, done that" with regards to wedding planning. It showed! They were pros at not only talking to vendors, but also asking the right questions. We made a fantastic team: Laura wrote down numbers, Tanya had handfuls of pamphlets, and I just stood there grinning like a dork because I was getting married. Yippee!
There were a few key lessons I learned that day about attending a wedding bonanza:
1. Bring an open mind. These events are jam-packed with swoon-tastic ideas. Just because they aren't what you have in mind at that moment, doesn't mean that you should pass them by! Since attending the Expo, my wedding "vision" has evolved, and more than a couple times I've thought "Crap. I saw something like that back at the Expo."
2. Don't be afraid to talk $$. The pamphlets I received gave bare bones info: name, contact, general pricing, obligatory blurb about how they're awesome and you should choose them for your big day. Thanks to my savvy girls, I found that most of the quoted prices were for a Saturday evening wedding. Some companies I wouldn't have considered were now a viable option because of discounted rates for Friday night. Furthermore, some companies whose special "Expo rates" piqued my interest only honored those prices for a limited time after the event. Having a wedding over a year away made these less useful.
3. Bring a pen/cil and notepad. Write down additional information vendors give you right after you finish speaking with them. If you wait, data overload will turn into data mush. Also, take note of the representative's name. If you're quoted a fantastic deal, you'll want to pin a name to that price if you follow up with them.
4. Bring a camera. I forgot to bring mine (durr). Luckily Laura had her iPhone, especially since I tried my first wedding dress on at this event. ::grin:: Like how I snuck that in there?
And obviously, take it all in and have fun!
Are you going to a bridal show? For the veterans out there, what tips do you have for those of us who are new to the scene?
4. Bring a camera. I forgot to bring mine (durr). Luckily Laura had her iPhone, especially since I tried my first wedding dress on at this event. ::grin:: Like how I snuck that in there?
And obviously, take it all in and have fun!
(source)


No comments:
Post a Comment