Hotels near Rochester, MI courtesy of Google Maps
(A) is our venue. (B) is a local motel. That cluster off to the left is where all the hotels are, about 8 miles from our wedding. Well, you work with what you're given, right?
If you're like me and totally clueless about the hotels in the surrounding area, I started out by doing some research. Find hotels within the price point you're shooting for, and make the time to read the reviews (tripadvisor is my favorite). Don't let a 4 out of 5 star rating pull the wool over your eyes! Pay special attention to the bad reviews--are they legitimate concerns, or is someone making a mountain out of a molehill? Also take note of the most recent batch of reviews. Hotels do change management, and it's possible that they were great in 2008 but have since declined. This was why I didn't feel comfortable with the local motel. The reviews from 2-3 years ago were fantastic, but as of late there appeared to be more problems than praise.
Once you've narrowed down the list, write down the lowest rate you find online. Some hotels tried to offer me a "group discount rate" that was higher than the price of a room I could book through places like Expedia. It's good to be informed so you know exactly what kind of deal (if any) you're getting. I also asked the following questions:
- How many rooms and for what days can I block off for my guests?
- What is the cutoff date for my guests to make a reservation and still take advantage of the group discount?
- Are we responsible for any rooms that are unbooked after the cutoff date? Be especially aware of this point. Some hotels will hold you responsible for unused rooms in the block after the cutoff date. This is also known as an "attrition clause."
- Will you distribute out-of-town bags to our guests at check-in?
- Do you provide a shuttle service to the wedding venue? If not, can you recommend a reliable company?
- Do you provide free continental breakfast? If they don't, it might be nice to provide your guest with suggestions and directions to nearby restaurants.
- Is wireless internet included in the hotel price? It blows my mind that in this day and age some hotels still charge extra for internet access. But, I suppose I'm also in the stone age because I don't own smart phone. I thought it was a huge deal when I finally got a phone with a keyboard for texting!
- Is there a lounge area where guests can mingle and interact?
(source)


No comments:
Post a Comment