Image via Humor Hound
1. Not responding in a timely fashion. I'm frequently guilty of falling behind on responding to emails, but we're talking 2+ weeks of internet silence. I'm sure many of the vendors we contacted wrote us off because they saw we were planning a year in advance, but even a one line e-mail saying "it's too early for us" would have been much appreciated. First impressions mean a lot, and if there's a huge delay (or no response whatsoever), I'm going to assume that's how the business operates. Pass.
2. Hounding me to make a decision. I had contacted an entertainment company about live music for our ceremony. I was upfront about shopping around for the best fit and price, so after exchanging information and receiving a quote, I thanked them for their time and said I would be in touch. They called me every. single. day after that. When I did pick up, I was polite and said I was still weighing my options and emphasized that I would call once I made a decision (read: stop calling me). I put my foot down after a representative called me three times in one day, including a phone call after 9PM. I sent off a...tart (bahaha)...e-mail to the owner, who gave the explanation that they had to be persistent to be competitive. There's a difference between persistence and harassment.
3. Being vague about your pricing. I'm indifferent as to whether pricing is available on a website because I know how much they can vary based on the time of year and even the day of the week. However, please don't quote me a price that ends with "ish." My bank account doesn't believe in "ish."
4. Making gross cultural assumptions. While searching for a florist, I had a woman inform me that I wasn't allowed to have white flowers at the wedding. Why? Wait for it...because "your people only use white for funerals." That's right folks. My people.
I'm pretty sure I have some Mongolian heritage in me, so I threw that country in for good measure.
Anyone else encounter bizarre business practices when shopping around for your vendors?


No comments:
Post a Comment