Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Are You My Venue?

"I do have a venue," said the bride-to-be. "I know I do. I have to find it. I will. I WILL!"
"There she is!" she said. "There is my venue!" She ran up to it.*


The Michigan Union, a building with history
Halls singing of maize and blue glory
Floor-to-ceiling windows and marble tiles
Chandeliers, hardwood floors, old-world style

However, with students milling around
And beginning our union at a Union
Where I used to study began to compound:
All of a sudden this doesn't seem so grand.

"I do have a venue," said the bride-to-be. "I know I do. I have to find it. I will. I WILL!"
"There she is!" she said. "There is my venue!" She ran up to it.


Matthaei Botanical Gardens, lush and serene
Surrounded by floral splendor
What bride wouldn't feel like a fairy queen?

But cold, wet, unpredictable Michigan May
The weather could throw a kink in our big day
No, no the bride-to-be said
There is a venue out there where I will be wed

"I do have a venue," said the bride-to-be. "I know I do. I have to find it. I will. I WILL!"
"There she is!" she said. "There is my venue!" She ran up to it.


Meadowbrook Hall, a historic house
A picturesque place to take a spouse
Sophisticated, romantic, full of charm
The entire estate is yours
Ballroom, terrace, the entire outdoors

"I do have a venue," said the bride-to-be. "I know I do. I have to find it. I will. I WILL!"
"There she is!" she said. "There is my venue!" She ran up to it.


Cranbrook House and Gardens
Sculptures, spacious lawns and fountains
Like walking through the Gardens of Versailles
Enchantment abounds

Both of these are European dreams transplanted
But to go with the glamour
Are price tags to make one stammer
And neither is for this bride-to-be


"I do have a venue," said the bride-to-be. "I know I do. I have to find it. I will. I WILL!"

*These lines adapted from P.D. Eastman's classic children's book "Are You My Mother?"

No comments:

Post a Comment